Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Summer Breeze

Here is a short story I wrote last night for a contest on the Meg Cabot message boards. 


A Summer Breeze 

    Summer was always the same, and it has been since I knew how to handle money. At seven years old, I stood behind this counter, which was twice my size and took orders for people.
    My parents owned this small beach hut; it was the most popular hut on the beach. We sold everything from your typical hamburger, to bathing suites.
    Every summer I would stare out the window onto the beach. The whole town was out there enjoying themselves while I worked my summer away.
    Today I was operating the food window, which was not so terrible because technically I was outside. The food area was under a huge tent, and it made me feel as if I were on the beach.     “Hello, and welcome to Sanders Beach hut, how may I help you?” I lazily twirled my curly brown hair in my fingers.
    I lifted my eyes to meet the gaze of an unfamiliar boy. The first thing I noticed was how blue his eyes were. I had never seen anything like it; the second was his smile, and the two dimples that formed on both his cheeks.
    “Hello miss,” oh, and that voice it was like music, soft and mellow.
    His blonde hair flopped around in the wind as he grabbed onto the counter on the outside of the window.
    “What can I get for you?” I asked him.
    “Well I don’t know, what’s good here?” he questioned.
    “I um…,” I stuttered, great just what I needed a brain fart, what perfect timing.
    “Well… I don’t know,” I blushed.
    “You don’t know? You work here don’t you?” from the tone in his voice, it sounded as if he had only been joking. 
    “I-,” I stuttered.
    “I was joking,” he chuckled.
    “I knew that,” I smiled.
    “Honestly though, what would you recommend?” he questioned.
    “Probably the double cheese and bacon hamburger, and between you and I, I hear it’s the best on the beach,” I lowered my voice.
    I was taken back when he chuckled slightly. Wow, was he showing interest in me? Was this flirting? I have never in my life flirted with anyone before.
“That actually sounds really appetizing; I will have one of those,” he said.
    “Yes of course,” I told him punching the order into the computer.
    “What would you like to drink?” I questioned.
    “An extra large coke please.”
    I looked back up ready to tell him how much his meal would cost, and I was taken back by his intense stare.
    “Would you like a tray for that? Or a bag to go?” I questioned.
     
    “Well that depends, do you have a break soon? You look like you could use a break,” he smirked.
    I was in shock, mainly because I was not exactly the most popular girl on the block. In my town, you knew everyone you grew up with; you go to school with them your whole life until college. I had two best friends and that was it. Therefore, a guy flirting with me was a new feeling.
    I had never seen this guy before at this beach or at school. Not many outsiders used this beach, I wondered if maybe he was new and that I would be seeing him around school this year.
    “I um… well my parents run a tight ship, so I probably can’t sneak out early,” I said.
    I was surprised when his smile turned to a frown. I was usually pretty good and reading people and he genuinely seemed upset.
    “Maybe next time then, summer has only just begun,” he said.
    “Yeah, maybe, oh right your total is five dollars and fifty cents.”
    He dug into the pockets in his swim shorts, and pulled out a ten-dollar bill. Our hands grazed as he handed me the bill. I swore my heart had stopped just for a moment. His cheeks turned red, I was in shock, I actually made a guy blush.
    “Let me get the cups for your drink,” I offered shutting the register and handing him his change.
    I walked to the end of the window and went to grab the cups. With my luck, of course the cups fell over to his side of the counter into the sand.
    “Oh-my-gosh, I am so sorry,” I apologized. My face flushing red again. I watched as he kneeled down to grab the cups. He stood up and placed them on the counter.
    “It’s okay,” he chuckled.
    I handed him a clean cup.
    “So um… your order will be ready in a few minutes,” I said.
    “Thank you for your help-,” he stopped mid-sentence for a second. His eyes were searching for something.
    “Haven, thank you very much,” I looked down at my blue tank top. Pinned to the right corner was my brown nametag with white writing.
    “Your welcome, but just one thing I didn’t catch your name,” I laid my hands flat on the counter.
    “I’m Taylor,” his smile lifted again.
    As he introduced himself, I felt his hand fall over mine. His hand was soft and warm, and felt comforting.
    “I am new in town, I’ll be attending school here in the fall, so I guess I will be seeing you around then,” he said squeezing my hand.
    “Yah, that sounds really… um… good,” I managed to get out.
    “Haven, number two-seventy is ready,” John, one of the workers set the bag down on the counter next to me.
    “Thanks,” I replied taking the bag with my free hand.
    He pulled his hand away and took the bag from me.
    “It was nice meeting you,” he hesitated.
    “And you too,” I replied.
    He started walking away back towards the beach. As he reached the end of the tent, he turned back towards me. His blue eyes locked with mine, and his lips turned up into another smile. I felt butterflies and my heart was pounding like the beat of a drum. Maybe this summer would not be so bad after all.
   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment